Max Schulze (1994) lives and works in Amsterdam.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Art from the Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht (HKU) in 2016, where he won the HKU Thesis Prize for his essay, which was an ode to tragic poets and served as an introduction to his own poetry.
Working from an extensive archive of found images and driven by both existential rumination and a fascination for confessional poetry, Schulze aims to conceive an interaction between the various subjects portrayed within his work by using or imitating the technique of collage on paper and canvas. His paintings often depict mythological figures and symbols, as well as mid-century photographs that are all affected by layers of intuitive brushstrokes and quick line drawings. In his work, he invites to question the hierarchy amongst his subjects and, inevitably, the medium of painting itself.
Max Schulze is currently a WOW Amsterdam Artist in Residence (AIR).
2012 - 2016 Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht
Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA)
PRIZES / NOMINATIONS
- HKU Thesis Award 2016 (winner)
- CARYATIDS, WOW Amsterdam (2018)
- A Series of Lethargic Endeavours, Dappie, Amsterdam (2017)
- COLOSSUS, Kunstgang, Leiden (2016)
- 99KUUB: Welcome to Dorp - 99KUUB, Tractieweg 41, Utrecht (2015)
- Radio in The Bathtub : a harvest, a feast, Moira, Utrecht (2018)
- Parklicht - "Achterlicht", Oosterpark, Amsterdam (2018)
- WOW Masquerade, WOW Amsterdam (2018)
- Opium TorenkamerEXPO (2018)
- SBK Sprouts Young Talents (2017)
- HKU FA TWG 2016 (graduation show)
- Eastern Neighbours Film Festival, Den Haag (screening) (2015)
- Vrijblijvend Sanitair - Tractieweg 41, Utrecht (2015)
- CATLAB - Koningsweg, Utrecht (2014)
RESIDENCIES / PROJECTS
- WOW Amsterdam (June 2017 - May 2019)
- Dappie (Dapperstraat 82), Amsterdam (april - may 2017)
- De Torenkamer, VondelCS, Amsterdam (january 2018)