Max Schulze (1994) lives and works in Amsterdam.
In 2016, Schulze obtained his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Utrecht School of the Arts and was awarded the HKU Thesis Prize for his dissertation, which was an ode to tragic female poets, as well as an exploration of what urges him to write. Not long thereafter, he decided to swap the idyllic city of Utrecht for the deafening hustle and bustle of Amsterdam, the likes of which continue to influence his work.
Inspired by subjects such as mythology, tragedy, confessional poetry, loneliness, and transience, he regularly consults his constantly expanding archive of found photographs in order to unearth the characters, set pieces, and props that are each given a place in a hypothetical play.
In a collage-like manner, Schulze paints the protagonists, antagonists, and extras guarding their positions, while simultaneously being distressed by their weaknesses and consumed by their personal weight. By playing with depth, size, juxtaposition, and transparency, he creates a mutual tension that invites the spectator to question the hierarchy depicted. Placed within a desolate landscape, emperors become lepers and deities regain mortality. The personas within the framed scenes each tell their own story through fast lines and brushstrokes that suggest movement, forming ludicrous pawns in a pre-determined script and a ruthless world, regardless of their hierarchical status.
2012 - 2016 Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht
Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA)
PRIZES / NOMINATIONS
- HKU Thesis Award 2016 (winner)
- CARYATIDS, WOW Amsterdam (2018)
- A Series of Lethargic Endeavours, Dappie, Amsterdam (2017)
- COLOSSUS, Kunstgang, Leiden (2016)
- 99KUUB: Welcome to Dorp - 99KUUB, Tractieweg 41, Utrecht (2015)
- WOW Art Sale, WOW Amsterdam (2018)
- Radio in The Bathtub : a harvest, a feast, Moira, Utrecht (2018)
- Parklicht - "Achterlicht", Oosterpark, Amsterdam (2018)
- WOW Masquerade, WOW Amsterdam (2018)
- Opium TorenkamerEXPO (2018)
- SBK Sprouts Young Talents (2017)
- HKU FA TWG 2016 (graduation show)
- Eastern Neighbours Film Festival, Den Haag (screening) (2015)
- Vrijblijvend Sanitair - Tractieweg 41, Utrecht (2015)
- CATLAB - Koningsweg, Utrecht (2014)
RESIDENCIES / PROJECTS
- WOW Amsterdam (June 2017 - May 2019)
- Dappie (Dapperstraat 82), Amsterdam (april - may 2017)
- De Torenkamer, VondelCS, Amsterdam (january 2018)